PAHO is looking for a new Director to lead the Organization into the modern era of information for health and to strengthen evidence-based decision-making through the use of improved data management, analysis, forecasting and scenario setting, using cutting edge methodologies and IT.
As our new Director you will lead, manage and coordinate the Organization’s Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health Department (EIH) and increase its impact and visibility by delivering state of the art governance mechanisms for information systems in health.
You will focus on strategic information and intelligence to develop and support sound policies and decisions on public health matters in collaboration with all PAHO entities, Member States and other relevant Partners including WHO and other Inter-American system agencies.
You will build a strong purpose and direction for EIH and ensure that its strategy and objectives are aligned with the PAHO’s vision and mission. You will achieve an efficient operational and financial performance across the Department and attract the strongest talents in the field.
You will motivate and engage staff to achieve better results in close collaboration with our experts and administration to strengthen performance, feedback and professional development and to promote a culture of respect, responsibility and professionalism in a multinational environment.
To be successful you should hold a bachelor’s degree in a health, social or management science and a master’s degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Computer Science, Data Science Management, Biostatistics, Information Systems, Health Analytics or related field from a recognized institution. You should have minimum 15 years of combined national and international experience in a senior health analysis position, primarily within a public health setting. You should have experience in building and leading practices for formulating and/or implementing health data management, measurement and analysis and/or evidence-based health data science organizations. You should have a good knowledge of either English or Spanish, with a working knowledge of the other language.
You should demonstrate a high level of credibility in health analysis and data science and an ability to lead and motivate in a multicultural setting. You should also demonstrate excellent judgment and an ability to take the right decisions, knowing when and how to delegate effectively. You should have strong analytical, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills and demonstrate a strong motivation for providing authoritative technical advice to PAHO and its Member States.
In return, PAHO offers you a possibility of joining a challenging international working environment, which will allow you to make an impact on public health as well as heightening your professional and individual development. The compensation package includes dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, settling-in grant, rental subsidy, and home leave.
More information about the position is available below. Your application (including motivational letter and CV with approved credentials) should be uploaded to www.mercuriurval.be (ref. BE-05190) before October 15, 2019 at 2pm (GMT-4). If you have specific questions in relation to the position, please contact the responsible consultant Sebastian Volkers, Mercuri Urval, at Sebastian.firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +32 491 62 96 05.
More information about the position
Description of duties
Under the general guidance of the Director (D) and the direct supervision of the Assistant Director (AD), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Lead, manage and provide strategic, technical and programmatic direction for the development of policies, frameworks, standards, tools, norms and strategies to improve data management and analysis, forecasting and scenario setting within the Organization; lead and manage organizational capacity to advance technical cooperation support to Member States by the provision of improved mechanisms for data and information management in health;
- Oversee the review and analysis of the Organization’s data ecosystem; coordinate and guide the development and execution of corporate and technical cooperation strategies for data management (including standardization and interoperability), governance, and analysis, ensuring alignment with internal policy and the needs of the Organization and its Member States; promote an environment which optimizes accessibility and usability of available data through PAHO’s Health Information Platform (PLISA) and other corporate portals;
- Oversee the delivery of technical cooperation to Member States in data science and management, information systems, information and communication technologies for health, informed evidence - based and digital health, in collaboration with other Departments, Country Offices, partners, the network of collaborating centers; guide project implementation, project financing and executing arrangements; ensure timely monitoring, reporting and evaluation of projects and program results;
- Devise, plan, promote and coordinate the implementation of activities on priority issues pertaining to the gathering of strategic information and intelligence and the development of research uptake and evidence-informed policies, and their application to the health priorities of Member States;
- Lead the development of a data analytics strategy for the measurement of equity and strengthening of the Member States’ analytical capabilities (including the use of qualitative and quantitative data) as appropriate; ensure the development of analytics methodologies and tools that contribute to the design of robust simple and complex analyses based on data and research;
- Oversee the development of analytical processes within the Department and with the technical entities in PAHO that facilitate analysis, forecasting, and modeling to support evidence-informed decision making within the context of health plans and prevention strategies;
- Guide the implementation of the Information Systems for Health strategy, including the assessment of the level of maturity of the national information systems for health; oversee the development of national strategies related to the strengthening of interconnected and interoperable national information systems for health, considering the information and communication technologies, existing resources, structures, mechanisms and environment, as applicable to each country;
- Oversee the management of priority corporate data-driven projects, including the measuring and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the impact indicators of the Organization’s Strategic Plans, among others;
- Lead the Organization’s response and technical cooperation on e-Health and the adoption of digital health solutions at the national level;
- Supervise the Latin American and Caribbean Center on Health Sciences and Information (BIREME), based in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to ensure the Center elaborates and implements its biennial work plan (BWP) and its alignment to the Organization’s Strategic Plan and policies as well to BIREME’s mandates, strengthening its visibility and capacity to support the Member States and the Secretariat in the use of evidence for policy making;
- Oversee the preparation and execution of the Department’s Biennial Work Plan (BWP); develop, define and establish the objectives, strategy, plan and budget of the Department; be accountable for the products and services;
- Administer, allocate and monitor the implementation of the Department’s financial and human resources; prepare, and justify the program and budget proposals; define the Department’s Human Resources Plan including the organizational structure, competencies and terms of reference; initiate and recommend approval of personnel actions for all staff and other personnel;
- Develop, define and establish the strategy and functions, of the Department; ensure that the strategy and objectives are aligned with the Organization’s vision, mission, values, policies, strategies, and priorities; monitor the implementation of activities, implement corrections to any deviations and incorporate feedback to redefine the objectives and/or strategies; ensure that results and products delivered by the Department are aligned with the Organizational Strategy and make significant contributions to output, outcome and impact targets as defined in the Organization’s Strategic Plan;
- Provide authoritative technical, managerial and policy advice to staff assigned to the Department, Sub-regional and Regional Advisors located in the countries; review reports submitted by staff and provide constructive feedback;
- Provide leadership to guide staff and motivate teams in a multicultural environment, and ensure continuous training and development of staff; including guidance and monitoring of staff through setting of clear work objectives, use of performance reviews and feedback mechanisms, regular communications, and solving interpersonal or technical conflicts;
- Promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organization’s Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct in order to ensure a culture of respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance;
- Provide a stable managerial framework that demonstrates credibility, trust and value to Member States, partners and humanitarian and other donors, while optimizing staff performance; provide advice, when called upon, to institutions of Member States in the area of expertise;
- Direct and participate in the development of policies and their implementation and provide authoritative advice in relation to policy and procedures under the areas of responsibility;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in a health, social or management science and a master’s degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Computer Science, Data Science Management, Biostatistics, Information Systems, Health Analytics or related field from a recognized institution.
Desirable: A Ph.D. in epidemiology, public health, health information or related field would be an asset.
Essential: Fifteen years of combined national and international experience in a senior health analysis position, primarily within a public health setting. Experience in building and leading practices for formulating and/or implementing health data management, measurement and analysis and/or evidence-based health data science organizations. The incumbent should be highly skilled in the design, development, and validation of processes for data management and governance, as well as in processes and techniques for conducting simple and complex analytics.
Desirable: Proven experience in advising senior and executive management, as well as experience managing data and analytics teams, and driving change within a large, complex organization.
Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
Teamwork: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization. Creates and encourages a climate of teamwork and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organization’s goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization.
Communication: Articulates the Organization’s strategic objectives when formulating and delivering information and presentations and adapts presentation methodology to address the needs of different audiences. Establishes a safe environment for others to express their views and takes those views into consideration in decision making as needed. Is aware of cultural differences and uses culturally appropriate non-verbal communication. Supervises (or oversees) and coordinates the development of guidelines, policies and strategies; ensures the Organization’s strategic objectives are well reflected through written communication and provides quality control for written documents. Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary.
Creating an empowering and motivating environment: Oversees and provides teams and departments with clear managerial directions which are translated from Organizational strategy. Builds a performance culture in the Organization; contributes to setting Organizational performance goals and standards; monitors Organizational performance against milestones and strategic goals; identifies and nurtures talent as appropriate. Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization; inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
Promoting innovation and Organizational learning: Ensures that knowledge and learning are shared across the Organization, transmitting a sense of responsibility and empowerment down the Organization; builds a culture that encourages learning and development by coaching and mentoring others. Drives and advocates for change as needed, continually promoting new ways to position the Organization for success; is recognized as a key resource within the Organization for generation of alternative perspectives on the Organization’s mission and work.
Ensuring effective use of resources: Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
Technical: Extensive progressive expertise at a senior decision-making level in health analysis and data science with specialization in assessing, understanding, and controlling the impacts of data management and analysis that will keep the Organization at the forefront in data management, analysis, forecasting, modeling, and scenario setting, and using cutting-edge information technology that supports informed data-driven bases for decision-making. Ability to provide authoritative technical advice to the Organization and its Member States.
Managerial: Extensive expertise in senior, progressively responsible positions in the management of a large public or private administration with administrative and technical matters requiring sensitive negotiation and high-level interventions. Demonstrated ability to provide professional leadership to strategic, organizational, managerial and analytic work in health analysis, data science, evidence based information systems; must possess resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment and interpersonal skills to deal with difficult situations, sensitive issues; should be able to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, disciplines, nationalities, and cultural backgrounds.
Administrative: Skills in the creation and integration of administrative procedures for the delivery of highest quality results from the teams, as well as experience in resource mobilization (including fundraising and partner collaboration) and financial management for the delivery of expected results.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish, with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.